The group of study fields:
Field of study program: Nursing
Code of study program: 6531GX024
Type of study program: Undergraduate (college higher education) study programme
Cycle of study program: Professional Bachelor degree
Language of study program:
Credits and form of study program: 210 credits, full-time (3,5 years)
The program is implemented by the Department of Nursing and Dental Care of the Faculty of Medicine.
Qualification to be awarded: Professional Bachelor of Health Sciences, qualification of General Practice Nurse.
In order to achieve study results, various interactive teaching methods (analysis of cases, reflection, interactive lecture, observation, analysis of best practices, making and reasoning assumptions, role-play games, etc.), independent work and related methods are intended in the descriptions of subjects.
Access to professional activity:
The graduates of General Practice Nursing study programme will be able to engage in independent practice of general practice nurse or to work in healthcare institutions of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd level, health care establishments under the ministries of National Defence and the Interior, facilities providing social services—care facilities for healthy individuals and the disabled of all ages, private health care institutions and carry out the following, the functions assigned to them:
- to organise and deliver patient nursing care and education,
- to assess the effectiveness of nursing care,
- to protect and look after patient health,
- to collaborate with other institutions, work in a health care team,
- to administer nursing care interventions and develop the practice of nursing care.
Why choose these studies?
Study environment. The degree program is based on Roper’s nursing philosophy and model. During the studies, various interactive teaching methods (reflection, observation, analysis of best practice, raising and substantiation of assumptions) are planned for students. In the study process, simulation training is applied in the established Nursing Simulation Training Center according to real clinical situations, or standardized procedure protocols. Examinations and mid-term examinations are organized using objectified clinical situations. Evidence-based nursing practice education is integrated into the study program.
Practice. During the studies, students perform professional practice in various health care institutions in Utena, Vilnius, Anykščiai, Zarasai, Visaginas, Kaunas and etc.
Experience abroad. Students can go to study and practice in Portugal, Germany, Latvia, Italy, Greece, Norway, Finland, Poland, the Czech Republic, Turkey and etc.
Possibilities for further studies. After completing generalpractice nursing college study and obtained the Health Sciences professional bachelor's degree, graduates can continue their studies in Lithuanian and foreign higher education institutions.
Employment opportunities. 90 percent. graduates of the general practice nursing study program work according to the acquired qualifications and the need for nurses will remain high in the future.
Utena College has been implementing the General Practice Nursing study program for more than 60 years.
The aim of study programme - to prepare specialists which are able to work independently or in a team, with acquired practical skills to provide nursing services and develop patients healthy living skills in different levels of health care institutions, communities, applying the science and practice of evidence-based nursing practice and improving their professional skills and advocating for their profession prestige.
Knowledge and its application. The graduate has the ability (knowledge of):
1.1. National and international health policies.
1.2. Boundaries of professional activities and responsibilities; ability to apply provisions of legal and professional ethics documents in the practice of nursing care, provide professional information within his/her competency.
1.3. To apply knowledge of natural, biomedical and social sciences and humanities in the practice of nursing care with the aim of systemically assessing the health of individuals, families and communities.
1.4. To critically systemise and integrate relevant knowledge to decision making in the practice of nursing care.
Research skills. The graduate has the skills:
2.1. To apply evidence-based practice in solving problems of nursing care.
2.2. To implement applied research in nursing, interpret, analyse, summarise and present research findings.
Special abilities. The graduate has the ability:
3.1. To judge about the nursing care needs of patients, families and communities and plan nursing care
3.2. To perform and assess actions and procedures of nursing care, provide arguments for decision making in professional situations.
3.3. To prepare patients for instrumentals tests and treatment interventions.
3.4. To recognise life threatening conditions, make judgment and respond to them adequately, administer immediate aid in cases of acute conditions and traumas.
3.5. To develop healthy lifestyle skills of patients, families and communities, organise and implement health education, provide counselling based on health education needs.
3.6. To apply the principles of nursing care administration in practice.
Social abilities. The graduate has the ability:
4.1. To interact and cooperate with patient and their relatives in resolving patient’s health issues.
4.2. To work in a team with colleagues and professionals of other fields in delivering individual-focused nursing care.
4.3. To express thoughts comprehensively and effectively both orally and in writing, communicate effectively in a professional setting in Lithuanian and foreign languages, recognise the diversity of people and cultural differences.
Personal abilities. The graduate has the ability:
5.1. To critically assess professional practice of nursing care, understand the importance of lifelong learning.
5.2. To make decisions independently and evaluate their impact in nursing care situations by deploying practical knowledge and assuming responsibility.
5.3. To collect and systemise information related to patient’s nursing care, make use of modern technologies and information systems in nursing care practice, deal adequately with confidential information.
5.4. To apply learning strategies, promote the science and practice of nursing.
The program focuses on the acquisition of qualifications based on the provided competences in Article 31 (7) of Directive 2013/55 / EU:
- To independently diagnose the nursing care required using current theoretical and clinical knowledge and to plan, organise and implement nursing care when treating patients on the basis of the knowledge and skills acquired in accordance: comprehensive knowledge of the sciences on which general nursing is based, including sufficient understanding of the structure, physiological functions and behaviour of healthy and sick persons, and of the relationship between the state of health and the physical and social environment of the human being; knowledge of the nature and ethics of the profession and of the general principles of health and nursingknowledge of the nature and ethics of the profession and of the general principles of health and nursing; adequate clinical experience; such experience, which should be selected for its training value, should be gained under the supervision of qualified nursing staff and in places where the number of qualified staff and equipment are appropriate for the nursing care of the patient.
- To work together effectively with other actors in the health sector, including participation in the practical training of health personnel on the basis of the knowledge and skills acquired in accordance: the ability to participate in the practical training of health personnel and experience of working with such personnel; experience of working together with members of other professions in the health sector.
- To empower individuals, families and groups towards healthy lifestyles and self-care on the basis of the knowledge and skills acquired in accordance: comprehensive knowledge of the sciences on which general nursing is based, including sufficient understanding of the structure, physiological functions and behaviour of healthy and sick persons, and of the relationship between the state of health and the physical and social environment of the human being; knowledge of the nature and ethics of the profession and of the general principles of health and nursingknowledge of the nature and ethics of the profession and of the general principles of health and nursing.
- To independently initiate lifepreserving immediate measures and to carry out measures in crises and disaster situations.
- To independently give advice to, instruct and support persons needing care and their attachment figures.
- To independently assure the quality of, and to evaluate, nursing care.
- To comprehensively communicate professionally and to cooperate with members of other professions in the health sector.
- To analyse the care quality to improve his own professional practice as a nurse responsible for general care.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
(admitted since 2019)
|1 semester||2 semester|
|Professional Environment||6||General Pharmacology||3|
|Professional Language||6||General Nursing||9|
|Human Safety||3||Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Radiology||3|
|Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology||6||Basics of Nursing Training||3|
|Communication and Medical Psychology||3||General Nursing Practice||12|
|Microbiology and Infection Control||3|
|Alternative Elective Subject (Philosophy of Nursing, Moral Philosophy)||3|
(admitted since 2019)
|3 semester||4 semester|
|General & Special Therapeutic & Dietetic Principles||6||Obstetric/Gynecologic Nursing and Family Health||3|
|Gerontology & Geriatric Nursing||3||Applied Researches of Nursing||3|
|Clinical Pharmacology||3||Pediatric Health Care and Nursing||6|
|Geriatric Nursing Practice||9||Alternative Elective Subject (Intercultural Nursing; Intercultural Communication)||3|
|Therapeutic Nursing Practice||9||Alternative Elective Subject (English/ Germany/ Russian||6|
|Obstetric and Gynecologic Nursing Practice||6|
|Pediatric Health Care and Nursing Practice||6|
(admitted since 2019)
|5 semester||6 semester|
|General and Special Surgical Nursing||3||Community Nursing||3|
|Emergency Medical Aid and Intensive Care||6||Psychic Health Nursing||3|
|Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation||3||Methods of Nursing Applied Research and Statistics Basics||3|
|Emergency Medical Aid and Intensive Care Practice||9||Community Nursing Practice||9|
|Surgical Nursing Practice||9||Psychic Health Nursing Practice||6|
(admitted since 2019)
|Palliative and Oncological Nursing||3|
|Final Practice and Supervision||15|
|Professional Bachelor Graduate Thesis||6|