The group of study fields:
Field of study program: Oral Care
Code of study program: 6531GX029
Type of study program: Undergraduate (college higher education) study programme
Cycle of study program: Professional Bachelor degree
Language of study program:
Credits and form of study program: 180 credits, full-time (3 years)
The program is implemented by the Department of Nursing and Dental Care of the Faculty of Medicine.
Qualification to be awarded: Professional Bachelor of Health Sciences, qualification of Dental Assistant.
Access to professional activity
Odontological care study program graduates will be able to work as a Dental Assistant in all levels of health care in the personal health care institutions, with a health care institution licensed to provide dental care (assistance) services.
Individuals that complete the Odontological Care study programme successfully, acquire professional competences that are sufficient to independently perform complicated work and make the right decisions in the following areas:
- assisting dentists of different specialisations and dental hygienist;
- identification of risk factors for dental diseases and implementation of prevention programs;
- organization of the clinic's work and self-professional development.
Why choose these studies?
Modern study environment. Students' dental care procedures and patient service skills are facilitated by learning together in a team: a dental assistant + a dental hygienist under the guidance of a dentist, thus applying the English teaching method, known as the dental team, to develop teamwork skills. Modern methods of assistance are used: "four-handed work" - assistance to a dentist or dental hygienist; "six - handed operation" means two dental assistants assisting a dentist at the same time. In addition, practical skills are learned not only in simulation classes but also in the dental office of the College together with the dentist in providing services to patients.
Practice. During the studies, students perform professional practice in various dental clinics in Utena, Vilnius, Visaginas, Rokiškis and etc.
Experience abroad. Students can go to practice in Germany, Latvia and etc.
Social activity. Participation in social projects by assessing oral health and teaching the public about good oral care. Opportunity to participate in the activities of the Lithuanian Dental Charity and Support Foundation in order to provide professional and timely dental care assistance to members of the public who live in poverty and who experience exclusion.
Possibilities for further studies. After completing Odontological Care college study and obtained the Health Sciences professional bachelor's degree, graduates may continue their studies according to university study in the field of health sciences study of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences or University of Vilnius or other fields studies at Mykolas Romeris University, Vytautas Magnus University, Klaipėda University.
Employment opportunities. The demand for these specialists remains both in Lithuania and in other EU countries, as one dentist must have one dental assistant in order to ensure the quality of services provided. The employment rate according to the acquired qualification reaches ~ 90%.
In Lithuania, the training of the first dental assistants started at Utena College. This study program has been implemented for more than two decades.
The aim of study programme - to prepare high quality dental assistants that are able to assist the dentist or odontology specialist, independently perform intra-oral procedures without exceeding limits of their competence, to ensure care and prevention of dental health, teach to healthy lifestyle and promote the prestige of the profession.
2021 year's study program
Knowledge and ability to apply it. A graduate:
- is aware of the national and international health monitoring policy, normative documents, which regulate the place of work, environment and safety at work and is aware of the limits of professional activity and responsibility;
- is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health, and knowledge of dental care practice
Research skills. A graduate:
- is able to collect, interpret and store the applied research data necessary for oral health and care and to apply the research results to solve the particular oral care problems and makes suggestions to the colleagues;
Special abilities. A graduate:
- is able to assure control of infections, and follows the requirements of normative documents regulating the job of dental assistant;
- is able to use the dental equipment, devices, instruments and materials for their intended purpose;
- is able to recognise oral and dental diseases and applies different diagnostic methods for different groups of patients;
- is able to fill in the professional documentation, collects the patient’s life and health anamnesis, and evaluates main vital parameters;
- is able to assist dental practitioners, specialised dental practitioners or dental hygienists performing various procedures of dental treatment;
- is able to operate dental X-ray and diagnostic machines;
- is able to recognise the cases dangerous to life, to respond to them appropriately, and to provide the necessary medical aid;
- is able to teach the patients the rules of healthy life style, rational nutrition, oral care, and to teach them to be responsible for own health;
- is able to plan, coordinate and control the organisational processes of the institution providing dental services (registration of patients and employees’ activities, their coordination, advertising, supply of aids, etc.), and applies modern information technologies
Social skills. A graduate:
- is able to communicate and cooperate efficiently with health care and other specialists and the patients, creating the full-rate relationships and solving the oral health problems and to create new ideas;
- is able to express own thoughts in writing and orally, to communicate in the professional environment of oral care specialist in Lithuanian and at least one foreign language;
Personal abilities. A graduate:
- is able to assess critically own professional practice, is able to solve the problems independently, and to act in particular clinically defined situation using the practical skills;
- is able to collect and systemise information, to use the advanced technologies and information systems in practical activities, and to handle the confidential information properly.
2018 year's study program
Knowledge and its application. A graduate:
1.1. holds knowledge of legal acts regulating activity of a dental care specialist, normative documents regulating a job place, environment and safety at work, national and international health care policy, principles of professional ethics, is able to analyse and apply them in practice.
1.2. is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health in professional activity of dentist assistant.
Research skills. A graduate:
2.1. is able to participate in performing applied research and to perform applied research targeted to dental assistant practice based on principles of ethics of research and to apply research results in professional activity ensuring the quality of evidence-based activities.
Special abilities. A graduate:
3.1. is able to ensure infection control by adhering to requirements of normative documents.
3.2. is able to assist dentists of various specialisations, dental hygienists in performing different dental procedures to apply odontological equipment, instruments and materials according to its purpose.
3.3. is able to identify dental and dental diseases for patient groups by application of different diagnostic methods and to teach patients and clients healthy living, rational nutrition, dental care rules and principles of becoming responsible for their own health.
3.4. is able to complete professional documentation by selecting patient’s life and health’s case history by evaluating key vitality parameters.
3.5 is able to work with dental x-ray and diagnostical equipment.
3.6. is able to identify life threatening conditions and to react properly, is able to provide necessary medical aid in urgent cases.
3.7. is able to plan, coordinate and control organisational processes of an institution providing dental care services (registration of activity of patients and employees, coordination, promotion, supply, etc.) by application of contemporary information technologies.
Social abilities. A graduate:
4.1. is able to communicate and cooperate in a team by providing dental aid and care; communicate both in Lithuanian and foreign language in a professional environment.
4.2. is able to create new ideas concerning practical activity of a dental assistant, to adapt to new situations by promoting the image of the profession in taking care of its value and significance in public and by ensuring quality of practice based on evidence.
Personal abilities. A graduate:
5.1. is able to critically evaluate professional practice,
to solve problems independently, make decisions, evaluate their impact and act in a defined situation and develop profession oriented character traits.
5.2. is able to collect and organise information, use modern technology and information systems in dental assistant practice, properly treat confidential information.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
|1 semester||2 semester|
|Professional Environment||6||Safety of Human||3|
|Professional Language||6||Basics of Biochemistry, Immunology & Genetics||3|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology||6||Dental Health & Prevention of Dental Diseases||6|
|Communication & Medicine Psychology||3||Pharmacology & Phytotherapy||3|
|Infection Control in Dentistry||9||Introduction into Clinical Dentistry||6|
|Work with Odontological Equipment & Materials Practice||9|
|3 semester||4 semester|
|6||Dental Diseases & Analgesia (Course paper)||6|
|Basics of Clinical Subjects||6||Dental Radiology||6|
|Quality Management &
Administration of Dental Care Facilities
|6||Applied Research Methodology||6|
|First Medical Aid||3||Optional Subject||3|
|Alternative Elective Subject: Foreign language (English, German, French, Norwegian)||3||Dental Treatment Methods Practice||6|
|Optional Subject||3||Nursing Practice||3|
|5 semester||6 semester|
|Dental Surgery & Assisting during Implantation||9||Endodontics||3|
|Prosthetic Dentistry||6||Children's Dental Aid||3|
|Alternative Elective Subject
1.1. Search & Analysis of Scientific Information
|1.2. Research Methods of Dental Assisstant‘ Graduate Thesis||Final Practice & Supervision||9|
|Dental Assistant’ Activities Practice||6||Qualification Exam||3|
|3||Professional Bachelor Graduate Thesis||6|
Freely chosen subjects are selected from the List of Freely Chosen Subjects and their descriptions.