The group of study fields:
Field of study program: Oral Care
Code of study program: 6531GX026
Type of study program: Undergraduate (college higher education) study programme
Cycle of study program: Professional Bachelor degree
Language of study program:
Credits and form of study program: 180 credits, full-time (3 years)
The program is implemented by the Department of Nursing and Dental Care of the Faculty of Medicine.
Qualification to be awarded: Professional Bachelor of Health Sciences, qualification of Dental technician.
Access to professional activity
- manufacture of dentures, jaws and facial prostheses, orthodontic appliances and splints;
organization of the work of the laboratory of dental technicians and self-professional development.
Why choose these studies?
Modern study environment. A modern training base has been set up in response to advances in dental technology. Advanced denture manufacturing and digital technologies are applied in the study process. Theoretical and practical classes are conducted by teachers with extensive practical experience as a dental technician. The constructionist teaching method is applied in the study process. This method ensures that the learner is actively creating real-world objects. Not only information and communication technologies (ICT) help to realize such learning, but also the experience of other dental technicians is taken over.
Practice. During their studies, students perform professional practice in various dental laboratories in Vilnius (UAB Prodentum, UAB Kadanta, UAB Prothesis, etc.), Utena (UAB Profident, UAB Technidenta, UAB Rostadenta), Kaunas (UAB Denta, UAB DDS Design) and others.
Experience abroad. Students can go to study and practice in Portugal, Germany, Latvia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Jordan, Poland.
Possibilities for further studies. After completing dental technology college study and obtained the Health Sciences professional bachelor's degree, graduates may continue their studies according to university study in the field of health sciences, dentistry study of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences or University of Vilnius or other fields studies at Mykolas Romeris University, Vytautas Magnus University. There is an opportunity to continue studies in foreign higher education institutions.
- is aware of the national and international health monitoring policy, normative documents, which regulate the place of work, environment and safety at work and is aware of the limits of professional activity and responsibility;
- is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health, and knowledge of dental care practice
- is able to collect, interpret and store the applied research data necessary for oral health and care and to apply the research results to solve the particular oral care problems and makes suggestions to the colleagues
- is able to assure control of infections and work safety, when working with equipment and materials, and follows the requirements of normative documents regulating the job of dental technician;
- is able to recognise pathological oral changes and bite anomalies, advises about adjusting possibilities of dental and faciomaxillary prostheses, orthodontic splints and devices, suitability of their construction and colour for the patient, while working in team with other dental practitioners or specialised dental practitioners;
- is able to use the manufacturing equipment of dental and faciomaxillary prostheses, orthodontic splints and devices, other devices, instruments and materials for their intended purpose;
- is able to model and construct the dental and faciomaxillary prostheses, orthodontic splints and devices of various constructions, and applies the technologies suitable for their manufacture;
- is able to establish and correct the inaccuracies and defects of dental and faciomaxillary prostheses, orthodontic splints and devices, and selects the suitable materials, tools and equipment to correct such defects;
- is able to recognise the cases dangerous to life, to respond to them appropriately, and to provide the first aid;
- is able to plan, coordinate and control the organisational processes of dental technical laboratory (registration and coordination of the activities, management of professional and medical documentation, advertising, supply of aids, etc.), and applies modern information technologies;
- is able to communicate and cooperate efficiently with health care and other specialists and the patients, creating the full-rate relationships and solving the oral health problems and to create new ideas;
- is able to express own thoughts in writing and orally, to communicate in the professional environment of oral care specialist in Lithuanian and at least one foreign language;
- is able to assess critically own professional practice, is able to solve the problems independently, and to act in particular clinically defined situation using the practical skills;
- is able to collect and systemise information, to use the advanced technologies and information systems in practical activities, and to handle the confidential information properly
1.1. is aware of the national and international health monitoring policy, normative documents, which regulate the place of work, environment and safety at work,
applies provisions of legal acts on health and documents of professional ethics in practice, provides professional information within the limits of his/her expertise;
1.2. is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health, and knowledge of dental technician practice.
2.1. is able to conduct applied research focused on the practice of dental technicians, following the principles of research ethics, and apply the obtained results in professional activities, ensuring the quality of evidence-based activities.
Special abilities. A graduate:
3.4. is able to model and construct dentures, jaws and facial prostheses, orthodontic devices and splints of various constructions, applying appropriate technologies for their production, in cooperation with the dentist to discuss their design and color suitability for a particular patient.
3.5. is able to identify and correct inaccuracies or deficiencies in dentures, jaws and facial prostheses, orthodontic devices and splints, selecting the necessary materials, tools and equipment to eliminate these deficiencies.
3.6. is able to identify life threatening conditions and to react properly there to, is able to provide necessary medical aid in urgent cases;
3.7. is able to plan, coordinate and control the organizational processes of the dental laboratory (activity registration, coordination, management of business and medical documentation, advertising, provision of tools, etc.), using modern information technologies.
Social skills. A graduate:
4.2. is able to create new ideas in the practical activities of a dental technician, to adapt to new situations, strengthening the image of the profession.
Personal abilities. A graduate:
5.2. is able to collect and systematize information, use modern technologies and information systems in dental technician practice, properly handle confidential information.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
(admitted since 2019)
|1 semester||2 semester|
|Professional Environment||3||Health Management & Economic basics||3|
|Professional Language||6||Infection Control in Dentistry||3|
|Human Safety||3||Basics of Removable Denture Plate Manufacture||6|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Oral Pathology||6||Basics of Fixed Denture Manufacture||6|
|Teeth Functional Anatomy, Aesthetic & Modelling||6||First Medical Aid||3|
|Dental Technology Materials||6||Psychology||3|
|Introductory Practice of Dental Technician Activities||6|
(admitted since 2019)
|3 semester||4 semester|
|Basics of Toothless Maxillary Prostheses||9||Manufacturing Technology of Partial Removable Denture Plate||6|
|Manufacturing Technology of Fixed Dental Prosthesis||6||Manufacturing Technique of Ceramic Dentures & Digital Technology||9|
|The Basics of Applied Research||3||Manufacturing Technique of Arc Supporting Dental Prostheses||6|
|Alternative Elective Subject: Foreign language (English, German, French, Norwegian)||3||Practice of Manufacturing Technique of Dental Prostheses||9|
(admitted since 2019)
|5 semester||6 semester|
|Manufacturing Technology of Ceramic Dental Prostheses||3||Implant Technique||3|
|Manufacturing Technology of Combined Arc Supporting Dental Prostheses||9||Orthodontic, Faciomaxillary Curative Appliances and Prostheses||6|
|Plate Dental Prostheses & Inovative Technologies||6||Final Practice & Supervision||12|
|Alternative Elective Subject: Research Methods of Dental Technician Thesis/Search and Analysis of Scientific Literature||3||Professional Bachelor Graduation Thesis||9|
|Practice of Manufacturing Technology of Dental Prosthesis||9|