The group of study fields:
Field of study program: Oral Care
Code of study program: 6531GX025
Type of study program: Undergraduate (college higher education) study programme
Cycle of study program: Professional Bachelor degree
Language of study program:
Credits and form of study program: 180 credits, full-time (3 years)
Qualification to be awarded: Professional Bachelor of Health Sciences, qualification of Dental Hygienist.
Access to professional activity
Dental Hygiene study program graduates will be able to work as a Dental Hygienist in all levels of health care in the personal health care institutions, with a health care institution licensed to provide dental care (assistance) services.
Individuals that complete the Dental Hygiene study programme successfully, acquire professional competences that are sufficient to independently perform complicated work and make the right decisions in the following areas:
- organization of the work place, by providing individual and professional hygiene services for patients,
- identification of risk factors of dental diseases,
- implementation of preventive measures in order to reduce the spread and intensity of dental caries and periodontal diseases among patients of various age groups and community groups.
Why choose these studies?
Modern study environment. A real work environment is created during the studies. At the beginning of study students work with phantoms, applying simulation training according to a fictional scenario or real situation. From the spring semester of the second year students work with real patients.
Practice. During the studies, students perform professional practice in various dental clinics in Utena, Vilnius, Visaginas, Kaunas and etc.
Experience abroad. Students can go to study and practice in Portugal, Germany, Latvia, Sweden, UK and etc.
Social activity. Participation in social projects by assessing oral health and teaching the public about good oral care. Opportunity to participate in the activities of the Lithuanian Dental Charity and Support Foundation in order to provide professional and timely dental care assistance to members of the public who live in poverty and who experience exclusion.
Possibilities for further studies. After completing dental hygiene college study and obtained the Health Sciences professional bachelor's degree, graduates may continue their studies according to university study in the field of health sciences study of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences or University of Vilnius or other fields studies at Mykolas Romeris University, Vytautas Magnus University, Klaipėda University. There is an opportunity to continue studies in foreign higher education institutions.
Employment opportunities. The employment rate according to the acquired qualification reaches ~ 70%.
The aim of study programme - to prepare dental hygienists that are able to examine and assess patients’ condition of the mouth and teeth, to independently provide patients with personal and professional dental hygiene services, teach and consult patients/clients to healthy lifestyle and dental care, introduce new prevention methods of dental diseases based on research and cooperation with other personal health care specialists.
Knowledge and ability to apply it. A graduate:
- is aware of the national and international health monitoring policy, normative documents, which regulate the place of work, environment and safety at work;
- is aware of the limits of professional activity and responsibility, applies provisions of legal acts on health and documents of professional ethics in practice, provides professional information within the limits of his/her expertise;
- is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health, and knowledge of dental hygienist practice;
- has knowledge of reasons of appearance of dental diseases and factors ensuring healthy dental parts.
Research skills. A graduate:
- is able to collect, interpret and compile epidemiological data by performing practice oriented applied research based on principles of ethics of research;
- is able to apply research deliverables in solving specific dental care issues in the development of professional activity;
- is able to prepare and provide reports presenting the performed activity after the evaluation of research deliverables.
Special abilities. A graduate:
- is able to work with dental equipment, instruments and materials according to its purpose by applying measures and methods of infection control;
- is able to complete, compile and analyse professional documentation;
- is able to assess personal and dental health status as well as risk of diseases by formulating diagnosis and making a plan of succession of application of prospective preventative procedures;
- is able to perform dental care procedures by selecting dental care measures and methods;
- is able to perform and evaluate dental radiogram;
- is able to identify life threatening conditions and to react properly thereto, is able to provide necessary medical aid in urgent cases;
- is able to provide consultations to patients on issues of nutrition for the purpose of reducing periodontal diseases, dental caries, erosions, and risk of other non-carious dental diseases;
- is able to prepare health prevention programmes by promoting dental care and healthy living skills of patients, family, community, to organise and implement health teaching in regards to psychological, cultural health maintaining issues.
Social skills. A graduate:
- is able to effectively communicate and cooperate with health care and other specialists and patients by developing integral connection, dealing with dental health issues and in regards to the emerging needs;
- is able to work in a team by taking personal and social responsibility for his/her actions and decisions by creating and maintaining a connection with the patient and applying patient oriented dental care practice;
- is able to express his/her thoughts dentally and in writing, to communicate both in Lithuanian and foreign language in a professional environment;
- is able to create new ideas, and to adapt to new situations in practice; is able to apply procedures assuring quality of dental hygienist clinical practice following professional ethics and citizenship.
Personal abilities. A graduate:
- is able to critically assess professional practice, knowledge and values, to understand the importance of the lifelong learning;
- is able to independently solve problems, make decisions, evaluate impact there of and act in a specific situation by using practical knowledge;
- is able to collect and organise patient’s dental care related information, use modern technologies and information systems in dental hygienist practice, act adequately to the level of information confidentiality.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
|1 year||1 semester||2 semester|
|Professional Environment||6||Communication & Medical Psychology||3|
|Professional Language||6||Oral Health and Health Education of Community||3|
|Human Safety||3||Basics of Preclinical Studies||9|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology||6||Pharmacology & Phytotherapy||3|
|Microbiology & Infection Control in Dentistry||6||Periodontology and Dental Mucosal Diseases||3|
|Fundamentals of Human Histology and Embryology||3||Business Economics and Quality Management in Dentistry||3|
|3||Dental Hygiene Training Practice||6|
|2 year||3 semester||4 semester|
|Basics of Biochemistry, Immunology & Genetics||3||Professional Dental Hygiene & Clinical Practice||9|
|Preclinical Work with Phantoms||6||Clinical Odontology & Anaesthesia||3|
|Basics of Clinical Subjects||6||Applied Research Methodology||6|
|First Medical Aid||3||Assessment of the Patient’s General Condition Practice||6|
|Alternative Elective Subject. Foreighn Language: English/ Germany/ Norwegian/Russian||3||Dental Disease Prevention & Epidemiology||6|
|3 year||5 semester||6 semester|
|Procedures of Dental Hygienist & Clinical Practice||9||Dental care for patients with special needs||6|
|3||Orthopedic Dentistry & Dental Care||3|
Children's Dentistry & Orthodontic Basic
|3||Dental Hygienist' Work with a Patients & Supervision Practice||12|
|Alternative Elective Subject: Search & Analysis of Scientific Information, Dental Hygienist‘ Scientific Thesis Research Methodology||3||Qualification Exam||3|
|Optional Subject||3||Professional Bachelor Final Thesis||6|
|Procedures Performed by a Dental Hygienist Practice||9|