The group of study fields:
Field of study program: Oral Care
Code of study program: 6531GX025
Type of study program: Undergraduate (college higher education) study programme
Cycle of study program: Professional Bachelor degree
Language of study program:
Credits and form of study program: 180 credits, full-time (3 years)
Full time: price 1680 €
Qualification to be awarded: Professional Bachelor of Health Sciences, qualification of Dental Hygienist.
In order to achieve study results, various interactive teaching methods (analysis of cases, reflection, interactive lecture, observation, analysis of best practices, making and reasoning assumptions, role-play games, etc.), independent work and related methods are intended in the descriptions of subjects.
Methods of problematic teaching in subject studies: analysis of cases (in specialty subjects – clinical cases) in small groups draw students into confrontation with practical problems that stimulate their independent learning, will realize interdisciplinary integration of knowledge and skills in solving real life situations, and the lecturer’s function is changed into that of a consultant’s and helper’s.
Access to professional activity
Dental Hygiene study program graduates will be able to work as a Dental Hygienist in all levels of health care in the personal health care institutions, with a health care institution licensed to provide dental care (assistance) services.
Individuals that complete the Dental Hygiene study programme successfully, acquire professional competences that are sufficient to independently perform complicated work and make the right decisions in the following areas:
- organization of the work place, by providing individual and professional hygiene services for patients,
- identification of risk factors of dental diseases,
- implementation of preventive measures in order to reduce the spread and intensity of dental caries and periodontal diseases among patients of various age groups and community groups.
Access to further study
After completing Dental Hygiene college study and obtained the Health Sciences professional bachelor's degree, graduates may continue their studies according to university study in the field of biomedical sciences, dentistry study of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences or University of Vilnius and the social sciences in the field of social work, education or health education in Mykolas Romeris University.
The aim of study programme - to prepare high quality dental hygienists that are able to examine and assess patients’ condition of the mouth and teeth, to independently provide patients with personal and professional dental hygiene services, teach and consult patients/clients to healthy lifestyle and dental care, introduce new prevention methods of dental diseases based on research and cooperation with other personal health care specialists.
Knowledge and ability to apply it. A graduate:
- is aware of the national and international health monitoring policy, normative documents, which regulate the place of work, environment and safety at work;
- is aware of the limits of professional activity and responsibility, applies provisions of legal acts on health and documents of professional ethics in practice, provides professional information within the limits of his/her expertise;
- is able to integrate knowledge of biomedical science forming perception of human growth, development and health, and knowledge of dental hygienist practice;
- has knowledge of reasons of appearance of dental diseases and factors ensuring healthy dental parts.
Research skills. A graduate:
- is able to collect, interpret and compile epidemiological data by performing practice oriented applied research based on principles of ethics of research;
- is able to apply research deliverables in solving specific dental care issues in the development of professional activity;
- is able to prepare and provide reports presenting the performed activity after the evaluation of research deliverables.
Special abilities. A graduate:
- is able to work with dental equipment, instruments and materials according to its purpose by applying measures and methods of infection control;
- is able to complete, compile and analyse professional documentation;
- is able to assess personal and dental health status as well as risk of diseases by formulating diagnosis and making a plan of succession of application of prospective preventative procedures;
- is able to perform dental care procedures by selecting dental care measures and methods;
- is able to perform and evaluate dental radiogram;
- is able to identify life threatening conditions and to react properly thereto, is able to provide necessary medical aid in urgent cases;
- is able to provide consultations to patients on issues of nutrition for the purpose of reducing periodontal diseases, dental caries, erosions, and risk of other non-carious dental diseases;
- is able to prepare health prevention programmes by promoting dental care and healthy living skills of patients, family, community, to organise and implement health teaching in regards to psychological, cultural health maintaining issues.
Social skills. A graduate:
- is able to effectively communicate and cooperate with health care and other specialists and patients by developing integral connection, dealing with dental health issues and in regards to the emerging needs;
- is able to work in a team by taking personal and social responsibility for his/her actions and decisions by creating and maintaining a connection with the patient and applying patient oriented dental care practice;
- is able to express his/her thoughts dentally and in writing, to communicate both in Lithuanian and foreign language in a professional environment;
- is able to create new ideas, and to adapt to new situations in practice; is able to apply procedures assuring quality of dental hygienist clinical practice following professional ethics and citizenship.
Personal abilities. A graduate:
- is able to critically assess professional practice, knowledge and values, to understand the importance of the lifelong learning;
- is able to independently solve problems, make decisions, evaluate impact there of and act in a specific situation by using practical knowledge;
- is able to collect and organise patient’s dental care related information, use modern technologies and information systems in dental hygienist practice, act adequately to the level of information confidentiality.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
|1 year||1 semester (Study programme of 2019)||2 semester (Study programme of 2019)|
|Professional Environment||6||Communication & Medical Psychology||3|
|Professional Language||6||Oral health and Health Education of Community||3|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology||6||Basics of Preclinical Studies||9|
|Microbiology & Infection Control in Dentistry||6||Pharmacology & Phytotherapy||3|
|Human Safety||3||Periodontology and Dental Mucosal Diseases||3|
|Fundamentals of Human Histology and Embryology||3||Business Economics and Quality Management in Dentistry||3|
|Dental Hygiene Training Practice||6|
|2 year||3 semester (Study programme of 2016)||4 semester (Study programme of 2016)|
|Human Safety||3||Professional Dental Hygiene & Clinical Practice||9|
|Basics of Biochemistry, Immunology & Genetics||3||Clinical Odontology & Anaesthesia||3|
|Preclinical Work with Phantoms||6||Dental Radiology||3|
|Basics of Clinical Subjects||6||Children's Dentistry & Orthodontic Basics||3|
|Emergency Medical Aid||3||Assessment of the Patient’s General Condition Practice||6|
|Applied Research & Fundamental Epidemiology||6||Dental Disease Prevention & Epidemiology||6|
|3 year||5 semester (Study programme of 2016)||6 semester (Study programme of 2016)|
|Procedures of Dental Hygienist & Clinical Practice||9||Geriatric Patients’ Dental Care||3|
|Alternative Elective Subject (Search & Analysis of Scientific Information, Dental Hygienist‘ Scientific Thesis Research Methodology)||3||Professional Dental Hygiene for Different Patients’ Groups||3|
|Alternative Elective Subject (Basics of Public Health Science, Health Policy)||3||Orthopedic Dentistry & Dental Care||3|
|Optional Subject||3||Work with a Patients & Supervision Practice||12|
|Optional Subject||3||Qualification Exam||3|
|Procedures Performed by a Dental Hygienist Practice||9||Professional Bachelor Final Thesis||6|